Chard, South Somerset
High Street, Chard
Architect services to survey and draw up building plans and elevations. Obtain listed building consent and building regulation approval.
Forming a team with the Structural Engineer and Surveyor, produce a schedule of works following laboratory analysis and carry out extensive sensitive repairs.
Liaising with the Conservation Officer, keep as many original materials and features as possible following damage caused by severe dry rot.
- Erect scaffolding to the front of the building, clean stonework, repair damaged limestone. Replace and decorate sash windows and wrought iron balustrading.
- From a Spider MEWP (Mobile Elevated Working Platform) demolish unstable chimney and later rebuild from scaffold in imperial brickwork with lime mortar.
- Erect scaffold roof to rear with an internal birdcage, strip and demolish roof (keeping as many timbers as possible). Fit new oak timber kingpost roof, lath and lime plaster ceilings, plaster walls. Install new lead gutters, flashings, and slate roof.
- Erect birdcage to carriageway, support rotten floor joists, cut off ends of joists and wall plate. Add new sections with scarf joints and cleats, lath and lime plaster under joists and over passageway.
- Erect raking sheeted scaffolding with roof over to large oriel window, install new steel ring beam, replace rotten floor joists with new conical slated roof, repair large sash windows with new zinc cladding.
- Erect scaffolding and support large ornate plaster cornice, remove floorboards and strip out rotten ends of joists and wall plate. Add new sections to oak joists with scarf joints and cleats, new oak flooring, lath and lime plaster under joists.
- Remove rotten ornate panelling and skirtings, structurally support steel lintel with brick piers. Demolish and rebuild existing piers, replace panelling and skirtings to match.
- Needle over archways to remove cracking brickwork caused by dry rot to timber noggins. Rebuild with new timber formwork in imperial brickwork and lime plaster.
- Replace rotten sash windows, repair noggins and skirtings. Generally replaster and replace bespoke ‘like for like’ with new local decoration.
- Chemically treat all infected areas for dry rot and other infestations.